Updated: May 7
The purpose of this recipes is to make a yummy baked breakfast or dessert and minimize the unhealthy combination of mixing sugars together with fats. Depending on what level of PURE eating you are at, you may want to add or eliminate the chopped walnuts.
1 large apple thinly sliced (I used my Saladmaster to slice super thin)
2 ripe pears, diced
juice of one lemon
2 T currants
1 T fruit juice sweetened apricot jam to line the bottom
2 tsp. of apricot jam for the apple mix
1 ripe large banana
3 T applesauce
2 cups oats
2 tsp. cinnamon
handful of chopped walnuts
a pinch or 2 of salt or none at all
NOTE: I lined the bottom of my pie tin with parchment paper instead of using oil or butter. This way the apricot jam won't burn and stick to the pan (I wasn't sure if I spread the apricot jam directly on the bottom of the pie tin if there would be enough moisture to keep the bottom from burning),
However, this means you need to be mindful when dishing it out, after it has baked, not to dish up the paper as well!
Preheat oven to 375
1. Spread the jam on the parchment paper.
2. Mix apples, pears, currants, lemon juice, 2 tsp. jam and 1 tsp. cinnamon and optional pinch or two of salt in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl mash the banana with a fork and add the apple-sauce plus the other 1 tsp. cinnamon and mix all together.
4. Add the oatmeal and mix well.
5. Put the apple mixture into the pan and cover with the oat mixture.